Re: XY, Vista, choices

Paul Breeze wrote:
I used this to get the last version of Virtual PC from Microsoft to run on w2k, which it is not supposed to run on. It simply involved one small change to the file and now I have a version that will install under W2k.)
!!! It's things like this that make me so furious at Microsludge.
And it's not just greed (as it is in more extreme forms of DRM),
but flat-out libido dominandi: big brother Bill knows what you
want and need better than you do!

Apropos of Vista's being, as Jon noted,
> so security-crazed that it
> would prefer not to run anything at all
That's mostly UAC, and it can be turned off. Equally annoying is the fact that c:\documents and settings is off-limits even to admins. It's "owned" by "System" and by default no one can do anything, even look at it. You can change the permissions in Admin tools, but it begins to look as if you might have to do it in each session. I did it last time, but now couldn't get in. I've reset Everyone's permission to at least look; we'll see what happens next time I boot.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx