XyWrite not for Linux

Bill Mallon:

> Can you even use XyWrite with a Linux system?

You can use DOS programs with a Linux system; thus you can use XyWrite
with a Linux system. However, a native Linux version of XyWrite would
require rewriting from the ground up.

> Has anybody ever thought about trying to interest Red Hat
> or the Linux crowd into resurrecting XyWrite?

There is no Linux crowd, but there are interrelated and overlapping Linux
crowds. I doubt very much that any of them would want to work on a DOS
program, or reverse-develop Xy for Linux.

It's inconceivable that Red Hat would be interested in doing it
themselves.

Realizing that the Technology Group was noted for neither altruism nor a
commitment to open source, a group of people here mooted the idea of
*buying* the source for XyWrite from TG in order to present it to the
world. Back in those days, TG's boss Kenneth Frank was reading the list
(and occasionally posting his fantasies to it). He wasn't interested. TG
doesn't want to do anything with XyWrite, and doesn't want other
people's money for their rights to do so. (In my
conspiracy-theory-lunacy moments, I start to wonder whether Microsoft
isn't paying TG to do nothing with XyWrite.)

Perhaps TG struck a deal with Nota Bene that prevented them (TG) from
doing anything with their product, but if so Frank didn't deign to let
us in on the secret.

If, disgusted by recent revelations of new nadirs of Microsoft's greed
and arrogance, you're itching to break free from that outfit -- well, me
too.

Peter Evans
Regurgitation of this message in
full, complete with signature, is