Re: My mistake

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Dr J.L. Gordon wrote:

> I recently posted about my attempt to upgrade 4.016 to 4.017.
> Under OS/2, I had opened a full screen DOS prompt to do the
> install from floppy drive A. I pointed the Installer to Drive E
> where the existing XyWrite resides. When the install program
> opened XyWrite to finish the install, it must have opened the
> existing version (4.016) and that, of course, prevented 4.017
> from being written to the harddrive. After receiving an e-mail
> from George Bushman at TTG I tried again, this time installing
> to a drive with no previous versions. It worked. I assume the
> initial problem was a result of the DOS installer interacting
> with OS/2. So, my apologies to TTG, and I'm glad, at last to
> have 4.017.

When I originally installed XyWrite 4 on my computer, the install failed,
and XyWrite Tech Support told me to disconnect the CD-ROM drive. I've
since found, after installing OS/2, that a number of programs, especially
Windows programs, install better if I use dual-boot to go back to pure
DOS before doing the install. I'm still using Warp Version 3. From what
I hear, in Warp 4, it's possible to get a true DOS session from within
OS/2, with the various attributes of OS/2 suspended. That would help
greatly, I'd imagine.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                    lawyer@xxxxxxxx
 Boston, MA 02108-2503            http://world.std.com/~lawyer/