Re: Wireless access (off topic)

Robert wrote:
been intelligently configured. Still... there are no guarantees. Maybe
something is different when you use a Starbucks or other public AP, or drag
your notebook to an Internet cafe, I don't know -- but it sure seems the same.
Bottom line: whenever feasible, you want to be wired (faster, more reliable),
use a router, and shut down every port.
The context is: I'm trying to decide if I need to get a cell phone that I
can plug into with a USB adapter (from Radio Shack) for my work on the
road. I have to manage my listserv daily. Including do my email. A dialup
connection is feasible--i.e., broadband is wonderful but not a necessity. I
had thought piggybacking ono someone's wireless might be cheaper/faster.
> 2. Is the hitch-hiking moral and legal?

Immoral? I don't think so -- do you?

Only if it slows down the guy whose signal I'm riding on.
 Illegal? I don't know. Seems to me
that they're invading your space with a signal, no? OTOH, there's probably
some law about interception of or piggybacking on communications (cellphone
signals penetrate your space, but I doubt that you're entitled to use somebody
else's service). Consult a lawyer.

FYI, WEP is full of holes too.

Really? 128 bit?
> would my usage slow down the person whose access point I'm using?

Maybe, depends on their connection. Cable or satellite or wireless radio, yes
(but the shared bandwidth fluctuates all the time on these services). DSL,
very little. Most communications are short bursts. Do you notice when there
are heavy demands on your LAN? I seldom do.
I notice web slowdowns. But I'm never sure what the cause is. I have cable
modem, so it could be others in the apt. building using it, too, which
slows down service. Or it could be my wife's simultaneous usage. Or it
could be internet traffic. Or ...
Hmmm. I think I'll post this question on my own list, which includes
several lawyers and lots of geeks. If anything fascinating comes back, I'll
post here on it.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx