Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Xy

Michael Norman wrote:
To take a slight liberty, and to turn it into the idiom it is, you can
add, I think, _once_ before "heard" and replace that semi-colon with the
conjunction, _but_. But then my Latin is almost all gone now, and my
dog-eared dictionary and primer don't have the lesson I need. Titus
Pullo where are you?
Of course one can do whatever is necessary to make a translation
idiomatic in the receiving language. The epistemological dictum of the
scholastics applies, I think, equally to translation: quidquid
recipitur, recipitur in modo recipientis (whatever is received is
received in the manner of the recipient). I was merely questioning the
omission of the last letter in "audit": without the final -a, it
becomes a finite verb in the third-person singular present indicative
active (he/she/it hears), where the sense seems to require a passive
participle (having been heard). And, of course, I should have said
"letter," not "word"; I was thinking of a passage in St. Augustine,
where he rings the changes on verbum/word and vox/voice.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx