Email and Xy

Harry, Frank,

FWIW, you can automate either one of these procedures even further with the
program Macro Express. Took some fiddling, but I now have a Xy routine to
TY a file or any defined portion of the file with mail.prn. I then minimize
Xy (I'm using 3.55), and I type ALT+Shift+s, to which I've assigned a macro
written in Macro Express. The macro opens Outlook (or Eudora, or whatever),
waits for me to select the person from my email list I want to send to, then
drops in the Xy file or defined portion of same in the message area. (I
save the mail file to a special file name in Xy, then Macro Express can call
the file by that name.) It also adds a boilerplate subject line that I can
change if necessary.

I also just as easily bring part of a message into Xy: one macro in Windows
to copy the text defined from the message into notepad and then save under a
special file name; then one Xy routine to call the special file name to the
screen in Xy.

Macro Express is a bit of a pain to use--it's just a scripting language for
whatever can be done from the keyboard in a Windoze app, so you have to put
in all kinds of pauses to let the various windows open and close on you.
But it's still quicker than typing. It's available on 30-day free trial at
 If anyone wants to try it, I can post the
routines I've put together in the scripting language to get across the
divide between Windows and XyDos. Unfortunately, Macro Express doesn't
directly support any DOS programs.

Peter Brown
pbrown@xxxxxxxx

Harry B. Writes:

This topic does relate to our list, and I am curious about it. I use Eudora
and import Xy files, occasionally, by the following steps, after I have
used ctrl-N to open a new email window in Eudora:
  1. control-o to open a file,
  2. locating the Xy file in the awkward Explorer-type window
  3. open the file (which appears in a separate window),
  4. ctrl-a to select all
  5. ctrl-c to copy
  6. grab mouse to close this window
  7. answer the resulting "save, abandon, cancel " prompt
  8. ctrl-v to paste the Xy file into the Eudora window.

From: Frank Heydenrych
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:27:35 +0200

Hi Harry

Very much so. With Outlook:

Alt I(nsert) F(ile) T(e)xt Only (Alt IFE - goes like lightning)
Point to the file once only - it inserts in a nanosecond (because
it's pure Ascii) - Alt S

And that's it

For multiple sends: