Re: Vista

Michael wrote:
They feel Vista machines need a minimum of 2-4GB of RAM and their vendors are not currently offering this as a base configuration on new machines,

Understood--but if I'm buying a new laptop, I could just get it with 2GB.
They also echo the chatter on most tech sites on the WEB about Vista being convoluted and so forth, all anecdotal, and somewhat atavistic, of course.
I'm sure it's convoluted. They all are. There's always this chatter when a
new Win OS is debuted. Recall when it was found that XP had some divide
error or something? The sky was falling!
Finally they cite many of the reviews of Vista, which seem to be luke-warm, at best. I'm retiring one of the computers in the house, a W98 machine, a Dell Optiplex (runs like a tank) because there's software we use that it can't handle and some new hardware that would require too many work-arounds. University offers two new Optiplexes -- both Vista-ready, they say, with 1 GB of RAM (the bare minimum) -- that come with XP PRO
I have heard, as probably you have, that upgrading is never the way to go
with OS's.
and an upgrade-to-Vista coupon. I'm going to put 4GB of ram in one of them and get it, roughly $950.

Great price.
And I'm going to run XP. Six months or a year down the line when my work load will be lighter, I might consider an upgrade. Until a year ago I was using W98. Progress.
I waited a long time before doing XP--mistake. But jumping in too early has
to be a mistake too. I guess waiting a year is optimal. Don't know,
however, if I can hold on for that long with the old laptop (old = 2 years).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx