Re: Nail.exe in Windows -- Spyware

You have just been infected by the Amish virus. As the Amish have
neither computers nor electricity, it works on the honor system. Kindly
delete all files from your harddisk.

Thank you,
Brother Jakob

Y'all,

Before deleting any alleged virus, I surf over to the Symantec Hoax page
to see whether the file in question really is a virus.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

There is a search function at the page; type in the name of the file
(allegedly) to be deleted and Symantec will tell you what you've got
there. Nail.exe is spyware; not a virus per se. Deleting the file does
not rid you of its effects, as Mr. McNally has discovered. One has to be
rather more thorough when ridding a computer of viruses & spyware.
Viruses often alter Windows systems files and these must be restored to
their original state; simply deleting the *.exe file does not do this.
Symantec gives exact instructions how to clean up an infected computer;
it usually involves entering the Windows registry file and changing or
deleting keys, as well as downloading original systems files from
Windows (or an uncorrputed source) to replace the corrupted ones. My
advice is, look before you leap.

Flash