Re: Xy'd NB

At 06:26 PM 2/16/2008, Robert Holmgren wrote:
Or watch my more recent video...... http://xywrite.org//XyWWWebHelp/XyWrite_for_Windows_(NBWin).htm
My NB, modified per above, has been generating GPF's since version G. I assumed it was the program, and NB NY had started to trouble-shoot several debug logs I'd sent. As part of that process, I created several builds, including one that was fresh out of the box -- the original V8 from disk plus the latest update, with no modifications at all. Worked fine. No GPF. Then I modified that fresh build to behave like XY and the GPF returned. So on my machine, at least, either something in the skein of changes Robert uses is causing my NB/XY setup to fail or I am consistently making an error applying those changes. I'm going to start again with the fresh build, add one group of changes at a time and try to identify the modification(s) that is affecting my setup. It would be helpful if someone who has also adapted NB to XY, following the tutorial above, would try something: I can consistently get a GPF when I toggle to full screen, quit from full screen, and try to call the program up again. ***[Please note well: If you do this and get a GPF, you will have to reinstall the update to get rid of it. Also note that you will have to go into Process Explorer and kill the NTVDM session before you reinstall the update.]*** Meanwhile, I'm going to go back to the tutorial and apply it in phases to the build that works, testing after each change or set of changes, and in this order: add the XY kbd; alter NB.Dlg; add XY4.DLG to NB's root directory; add the necessary lines to NBSTARTUP.INT so that U2 is properly loaded; finally, comment out one at a time each of the NB modules invoked in NB.INI that I don't use. As an aside, I noticed that the lines in nb.ini I had originally commented out with a semi-colon ;load &user&main.hyp= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-c.aux,&c= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-d.aux,&d= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-i.aux,&i= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-e.aux,&e= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-x.aux,&x= ;ldpm &root&nbmain-g.aux,&g= ;run &root&nbmain-s.aux= have simply disappeared from the modified .ini file. Whether that's here or there who knows. Anyway, I'll hack away for a few days, take notes and report back. If I'm missing something, or am wrong-headed about the problem, please yell. Meanwhile, I'm informed by NB/NY that they have fixed the disappearing descenders with update I (i). I have not tested this yet. I'm going to stick with H for the time being as a test setup. Starting fresh should tell me if I made an error (I did double-check everything, but who knows), missed something in the tutorial (it certainly was clear enough and straight-forward), or if one of the modifications is, in fact, causing the GPF. Michael Norman