RE not enough memory for spellchecker in XY4

[Xy4 under Win98SE 128M of memory, 5M configured for Expanded in XY4 DOS
window.]

One step forward, and then two more back.

I got the Microlytics dictionary to work in XY4 by setting zx=1. So then I
decided to see if I could get the PCLEX dictionaries to work. I managed to
get to the situation where I could toggle between the two UK dictionaries.
That worked fine. But then I tried the French dictionary and I got the old
message back 'not enought memory to perform this funcion'. (The French
dictionary is much larger than the UK.)

Then I thought, perhaps I could get all the PCLEX dictionaries by enabling
expanded memory again in STARTUP.INT ( ie removing zx=1) and setting the
default in SETTINGS.DFL to PCLEX (df om=0)

That loaded the UK PCLEX dictionary ok, and I could toggle between French
and UK and both worked. However, now neither theasurus works. If I toggle
back to the Microlytics dictionary, the dictionary won't work but the
theasurus will. (I have changed the frames as suggested in the SPELLERS.DOC
documentation from the web site and changed the synonym key in my keyboard.

I'd settle for all the PCLEX dictionaries and theasurus's working under XY4.
Anybody have any ideas how I might achieve this end?

Paul Breeze