Re: Xydos to Quark?

In a message dated 10/12/2000 7:24:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdavidsen@xxxxxxxx writes:

> A major client has just decided that I have to submit my
> materials in Word for Mac, since, they claim, when they send
> my Xydos files to Quark, such rudimentary things as
> quotation marks, apostrophes and dashes disappear. This is
> all straight text, no tables, no fancy formatting.

I've imported unformatted XyWrite III+ and Xy4Dos files to Quark Xpress for a
long time, and never had problems on Mac or PC, but Quark stopped supporting
XyWrite imports (with formatting commands) after about version 3.3 for the
PC. Dunno for sure about the Mac version in that regard.

ASCII is ASCII, though, except for that "end of file" thingy that gets thrown
on at the end of a XyWrite file. Any publisher with any sense ought to
recognize ASCII as the ultimate common denominator for word processing (Rich
Text Format would be next in line). But of course, the people certifying tech
support engineers these days ARE Microsoft, and I suppose there is some small
chance they might have a vested interest in setting pure ASCII aside.... ah,
there goes my cynical side again.

 >From the standpoint of consistency in Quark, there are some good cases to be
made for asking all writers to submit in a common format, but Word for Mac?
Puhleeeze!

Jeff