Re: Xy'd NB -- FLV Video Capture and Player

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:21:46 -0500

> Saw Havens at the Cafe Figaro in '67. I couldn't get any of my
> Luddite friends to go along so I went by myself. Maybe fifty people
> in the audience that night. Wonderful evening. What a performer.

Check out Havens' BBC4 performance of "High Flyin' Bird" on
YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS81SdSOv4) -- same
song the Airplane made famous at Monterey Pop Fest
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrU_midXhI0). He appeared last
year (barely credited) in "I'm Not There", the Dylan
pseudo-biopic. Knocked everybody out with "Just Like a Woman"
at Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert in 1992
(http://www.last.fm/music/Richie+Havens/_/Just+Like+a+Woman) --
not easy when surrounded by so many fantastic performances (Neil
Young's killer Watchtower, Lou Reed's Foot of Pride, Chrissie
Hynde, even Booker T.'s Gotta Serve Somebody, which was omitted
god-knows-why from the CD). Havens supposedly brought Dylan to
tears with his version of "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall". A great
artist.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx