Re: Display colors, hardware issues

A while back, I was bemoaning the lack of a black text on paper-white
screen under XyDOS, and Robert Holmgren pointed out that all I had to do
was change the MD NM= setting in settings.dfl. I changed it to =240, and
that works fine on all my LCD screens (two laptops and my main desktop).
But on the two older desktops where I still have CRTs, the change has no
effect. The screen still comes up light gray on blue. (On one, the white
screen flashes briefly on loading.) When I tried to set the default from
the command line, I got "Invalid default setting." In all cases, 240 is a
perfectly nice black on white under Help Colors HelpKey.

Obviously, CRTs don't like your messing with colors. What I'm wondering
is if I should run into the same problems if I (finally; been meaning to
do it for years) created my own dsp file?

By the bye, no dsp is loaded on either of the CRT machines; I tried with
it loaded and without, and no difference. They're different VGA adaptors,
too: one's a Matrox Millennium, the other a Trident. And the laptop,
where 240 works fine, has less RAM than the desktop.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx