RE: A very basic printing question re XY3

And this is also where it gets flagged as being LPT3 ?

I'm not clear on that, but it doesn't matter (see below).
In Brian's Net Use example, I did not see any mention of the port in that line for Startup.Int.

Brian's line was: DO NET USE LPT1 \\dakota\ed_8k1 /YES

(again, it should be: /PERSISTENT:Yes)
What this does is tell DOS to regard that printer as being "logically" assigned to whatever is directed to LPT1. Then, as a corollary, you tell Xy to send its printing output to LPT1, which it probably does anyway as a default. If it isn't, I note from the marvelous Xy3 manual, under TYF:
"You can 'print' directly to or from DOS devices by using the device name
in place of the target file--for example, TYPEF [or TYF] Chapter, LPT1."
Prior to even entering Xy, you can test the outcome of the NET USE command,
in DOS, with:

Type Chapter > LPT1

That worked here.

Harry Binswanger