Re: HYPE! Sorry, I mean: HOPE! [was: Xy + Win98--any hope?]

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Sivin
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: HYPE! Sorry, I mean: HOPE! [was: Xy + Win98--any
hope?]

>I didn't have to disconnect my CD-ROM drive to install XY. If
you
>install it in DOS mode (not DOS window, but independent of
Windows),
>without an AUTOEXEC.BAT loading anything else, there should be
no
>difficulty or inconvenience.

The solution to the installation problem under Windows: don't
"install" XyWrite. Copy your Xy directory from your DOS
machine (we all have old copies around, right?). Create a
Windows shortcut pointing to editor.exe. It's not like
a Windows program that needs DLL files and such
placed all over the darned hard disk.

I don't even know where my Xy /Dos 4.014 disks are
these days; I keep a zipped backup of the entire
directory and just move it from machine to machine
when I upgrade computers.

Installed this way, Xy/Dos has run flawlessly for
me, first under OS/2, now under Win 95.
Interestingly, I used to get infrequent lockups under
OS2, but have not had a single freeze with Xywrite
in a year of intensive, everyday use under Win95.

jim besser