hyphenation

     In an artcle that appeared in a 1948 newspaper, the following hypenated words appeared. It was the year I left school. I am interested to know when hyphenating words are justified. In many cases keeping the words separately does not alter the sense of the sentence. The ones marked with an * can certainly be kept apart. Instead of whole-time one would probably write, "whole of the time", hence one can say it is a short cut (notice I did not hyphenate this word.) I wonder what Patricia or Carl has to say, or all the other language gurus and professors.

full-bodied
*bee-keeper
*South-West (refers to the previous name of Nambibia)
*honey-conscious
side-line
whole-time

 By the way, I wrote previously that the mouse does not work under XP but after using a batch macro at the c: prompt, it does work in the full screen .