Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

Robert Holmgren wrote:
But I agree, it's a lot of money, especially for *us*, who are in the unique
position of enjoying XyWrite at (speaking for myself) a 100% satisfactory
level, may even *prefer* the DOS version to the Windows version, and who do not
need all the academic tools that are really what NB thinks it is offering.
SNIP
But I think that if someone is interested, and
*can* pay, then s/he should pay. After all the whining here about the death of
XyWrite and "what a shame", in fact it isn't dead -- this is what keeps it
alive.
Points well taken. No, Xy is far from dead, but one has to keep an eye
down the road, and I strongly suspect Vista will not let us run Xy for DOS, much as we prefer it. And dual booting--even if one can find hardware that will run older versions of Windows--is a pain. (After all, what's the slowest task on a modern computer? Booting.)
Has anyone tested whether NB can chain print a series of files with end
notes? IIRC, we all tried this a while back and concluded that Xy just
cannot get it right (OOM probably); there are workarounds (using visual
inspection, manual printing of separate files, and SP), but they make it
pretty much impossible to generate a full PDF (since that involves
"printing" to a PS file).

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx
Patricia M. Godfrey