Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

** Reply to message from Correo Fenda  on Wed, 12 Apr
2006 12:29:29 +0200

> I'll
> continue to test because I have a really good feeling but the 250 bucks
> are really discouraging. The only reason to pay them is to support
> further development of XyWrite...

For what it's worth, you pay the $249 only once, to buy a ticket. Once you're
on the train, you pay $99 for full version upgrades, now occurring about every
18 months or so. Version refreshes and bug fixes are free, of course, and my
information is that they will be fairly frequent (although probably never the
whole package, but rather a DLL here and a documentation file there). For now,
there's a private $35 "special" (usually $50) for upgrading from the basic
Workstation to Lingua.

But I agree, it's a lot of money, especially for *us*, who are in the unique
position of enjoying XyWrite at (speaking for myself) a 100% satisfactory
level, may even *prefer* the DOS version to the Windows version, and who do not
need all the academic tools that are really what NB thinks it is offering.

One could, I suppose, always make a poverty plea to NB-NYC. They know what
poverty is! Suppose you're a student in Mali. $249 is more than you earn in a
year. In NB's eyes, if you offered e.g. $125 or whatever, that's 125 more
dollars than they'd get otherwise, and you'll survive on half rations. If it
was me, and supposing that I was somebody with enough authority to make
decisions, such as aputnam@xxxxxxxx or ssiebert@xxxxxxxx, I'd accept
the offer. Just a thought... But I think that if someone is interested, and
*can* pay, then s/he should pay. After all the whining here about the death of
XyWrite and "what a shame", in fact it isn't dead -- this is what keeps it
alive.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx