Re: A Real puzzler

Harry Binswanger wrote:
va/nv LA gives 850 but this, copied and pasted from the web, comes out
badly with GSview and fine in NB. How does it come out on your system?
Well, even in e-mail (Thunderbird), before even trying to
paste into Xy, this reads:
has been that sensation is 246 "impoverished" vis-a-vis our actual
Pasting from the Web is always tricky. Lots of Web sites, in
an attempt that you will approve (and whose ends I approve,
but which I fear often violates established canons of fair
use) to prevent plagiarism and piracy, boobytrap their sites
to hinder copying and pasting. Or they use MS-proprietary
tools that throw a spanner in the works.

Note what Robert said (1/17/2006) about Clip and CodePages:
>>CLIP.EXE requires several parameters to function (that's
why you get an Error msg when you command "CLIP" by itself). The error msg actually spells out those parameters, for people who want to perform these sorts of tests:
CLIP [optional A|B] TargetCodePage SourceCodePage [optional
ChunkSize]
If you're *Pasting*, the "Target"=XyWrite, so the
TargetCodePage is probably either 437 or 850 -- let's use
437, the default CodePage of XyWrite, and also
the CodePage of expanded view even if your default is 850
(we're ignoring the possibility of 1252, for ANSIfied
XyWrite or NBWin -- not relevant in your case).
The SourceCodePage is probably 1252 -- let's assume that it
is. The "Source" is the Clipboard itself, most immediately
duh, but the ultimate source is probably some Windows app,
and they all use 1252. I'm sure you know all this...
We'll use the default ChunkSize of 8192 bytes. We'll ignore
the optional A|B params.

So: your test command line will be:
 CLIP.EXE 437 1252
Do it. What happens? *Nothing* apparent should happen! But file CLIP.TXT should now be in Editor's directory. LIST it (or TYPE it or view with NOTEPAD or whatever). Is it a faithful copy of whatever you Copied from a Windows app?<<

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx