Re: A Real puzzler

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Also NB being ANSI based doesn't leave me with garbage characters for the curly quotes et al. the way Xy to GSview does.
Not here. . . . if default LA=850 and 264 is used for open, and 265 for
close, they come out fine under PostGhst.
va/nv LA gives 850 but this, copied and pasted from the web, comes out
badly with GSview and fine in NB. How does it come out on your system?

Metaphysical realism as a pre-condition of visual
perception
STEPHEN J. BOULTER
Field Chair for Philosophy, Westminster Institute of Education, Oxford Brookes University, Harcourt Hill Campus, Oxford, OA2 9AT, UK (e-mail: sboulter@xxxxxxxx; phone: 01865 488566).
Received 14 November 2002; accepted 28 May 2003
Most orthodox theories of perception assume a disparity between sensation, the brute irritations of our sense organs, and the way the world actually looks to us in cases of normal vision. The received view has been that sensation is 246 "impoverished" vis-a-vis our actual perceptions of the world, in the sense that we allegedly "see more" than is contained in the sensations themselves. The task of the visual theorist has then been to identify the mechanisms whereby "thin" sensory input is transformed by the perceiver into "thick" percepts. The innatists, who drew the fire of Berkeley's New Theory, held that

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx