Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Michael Norman wrote:
To create a space in the *endnote* between the endnote number and the
beginning of the note, and to put a period after that endnote number,
You're all, I'm sorry to say, reinventing the wheel where this
particular problem is concerned. Simply make your Footnote format
definition read:
That makes a tab (you want a tab, not one of two spaces; see below) part of the format.
As for getting the period in there too, I never minded typing it.
but if you do you could create a bolierplate and assign it to a
key combo in your keyboard file. It would embed (yes, Michael,
spelled with an e in this country; British English may be
different) the open to recall that someone (Maben?) had a routine a while back for
copying text to an open footnote window from another window.
As for the SP question, I need to test that on a system that
prints, which just now I don't have. (The printer attached to my
desktop is out of ink, but I KNOW I have a cartridge here
someplace; the laptop only prints through TYP--USB only--and my
GSview installation has something skewwhiff, which I've not had
time to straighten out.)
As for getting the page number, the officially approved way to do
that is to use a REP command (4-112 in the CG). There are,
however, two problems with that method.
1. Each label has to be unique. I think one could use an XPL
incrementing number loop to automatically embed the label. BUT
2. In my experience, REP just doesn't work. What prints out is
"see p. 000." I don't know whether that's caused by OOM or what.
You want a tab, not one or two spaces, after your Fn number. You want a tab whenever you're dealing with any kind of a numbered list, because you never know when the numbers are going to go to two digits, and then your first words won't stack correctly.

Like this:

With spaces
1. Smith....
9. Ibid.
10. Jones,...

Whereas if you use tabs, everything lines up nicely:
1.  Smith...
9.  Ibid.
10.  Jones
(That's far too wide a space, because I cannot--as far as I know--reset the tab values in Tbird the way one can in Xy or any word processor.) --
And before Robert starts inveighing against over-formatting and
self-publishing, I agree with him about that, but it really is
easier for the editor/publisher/typesetter if you use tabs where
you know a tab is going to go (or should go) later. I've been on
BOTH sides of that issue.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx