Re: Xpl accident -- one more thing...

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Sat, 01
Apr 2006 15:57:19 -0500

It goes without saying, when you're playing with real guillemets (e.g. writing
code), unless you really know what you're doing, you should always be in
eXPanded view! Unbalanced "hot" guillemets (or improperly coded expressions
with guillemets) can do very wierd things in any other view mode. The ONLY use
for draft mode when writing code is to see whether errors or unbalanced
expressions pop out at you (which they will) -- you should see a whole bunch of
neat deltas with no extra guillemets hanging around.

To return to your original problem, there is simply no way for a 1-byte
guillemet to transform itself into a 3-byte guillemet. It doesn't happen. So,
you screwed up yet again, Patricia! Land's sake, what are we going to do with
you?

(It's not as if this doesn't happen to EVERYONE! People who say they haven't
made mistakes in virtually every program they've ever written are flatass
lying. Only we don't send msgs to the list about it -- too embarrassing. We
just fix it. It can be tricky to catch an instance of a pseudo guillemet
masquerading as a real one, because they look the same -- I have real ones on
Ctrl-<|>, and pseudos on Alt-<|>, so I catch my fingers in the act fairly
often. Frame SYNTAX is good for checking obvious XPL errors like this.)

You do know what "land's sake" comes from, I can safely assume.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx