Re: search/replace program

I think the historical reason that periods and commas go indie
the quote marks is that, with old-fashioned letter-press
printing, the isolated period **following* a quote mark will be
pressed into the printed-on paper extra hard, with the risk that
the type face will be broken **or* the period will punnch a hold
in the printed-on paper. Current American practice simply follows
an old rule to avoid this problem.

George H Scithers of owlswick@xxxxxxxx