RE: search/replace program

Reply to note from "Ambos, Paul"  Thu, 28 Mar 2002
12:14:58 -0500

CD>> In general, I like the "logical" approach. For what it's
CD>> worth, it's the style decreed by A Uniform System of Citation,
CD>> the "Blue Book"
>>
PA> Actually, the Blue Book (17 edition) says explicitly to
PA> italicize punctuation only within italicized material;
PA> punctuation following italicized material is to be Roman.

I think we're saying the same thing. Rule 2.2(c), at 33, says:
"Italicize commas, semicolons, etc., only when they fall within
italicized material, and not when they merely follow it". That
verges on the tautological, but the key phrase seems to be "merely
follow". The exclamation point in _Oklahoma!_ (to borrow Patricia's
example) doesn't "follow", and certainly doesn't "merely follow",
the italicized material; it "falls within" it and should be
italicized. That's "logical", as is the Bluebook example: "When it
decided _Sabine Towing_, the Fifth Circuit presented a somewhat
different rationale for its holding." Semantically or logically,
"When it decided _Sabine Towing,_..." (comma within italics) doesn't
make sense.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx