Re: Looking for XyWrite

≪ I downloaded a copy of Xy4 from the TTG BBS. ≫ --Russell Lewis

Hi, Russell. TTG gives it away now? Or is this what
e-commerce is? TTG smails documentation, or what?

≪ I have several questions in particular about Xy3
[followed in another msg by a didactic, erroneous
statement others corrected about search delimiters] ≫

A new xyW user checking in here who hasn't at least
used NotaBene is, I believe, unprecedented. I wrote
a welcoming msg supplementing other subscribers'

xyW3 pgms at my www site resolve some of the issues
you raise, but aren't intended for use without
a grasp of xyW3 fundamentals that you and whoever
gave you an undocumented copy of xyW3 can hardly
expect a mailing list to provide. Your queries are
rtfm-level and it's a bit much to ask the list to
stand in for the m for a complex application. If
you don't explore it in depth you're shortchanging
yourself and xyWrite. You might consider lobbying TTG
to rerelease xyW 3.57 for use in PDAs etc (perhaps
putting the documentation online--Caldera DRDOS7
http://www.caldera.com/products/drdos/ is exemplary);
count on me for support. If you're a lawyer or can
pass for one, you might even get TTG's attention.

Short of that, as a committed user of xyW3, I would
suggest that unless disk space is a make-or-break issue
--and apparently it isn't since you've been using xyW4--
or unless you need to format tables, you lack the most
compelling reasons to use xyW3: years of familiarity
and a collection of xyW3 xpl and customized files
that would require arduous porting to xyW4. And you
have the most compelling reason to use xyW4: you
presumably bought or can buy tfm from TTG. Further,
you homed in at once on three built-in features that
distinguish xyW4 from xyW3--document information,
command retention, and improved search & replace
options--which also suggests to me that xyW4 would
better suit your needs. ... Ciao. 		--a