Re: language

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jonathan Beard wrote:

> Since I use XyWrite 3.54 (and sometimes 4) to translate from 9
> European languages into English, I will render von Rentzell into
> English as:  "Is this true?  I was not aware of it.  I sure hope that
> my Finnish friends do not find out about it....:-)"
>
> He is right that this custom is not equilateral.  Danes, Norwegians
> and Swedes can correspond in this manner among themselves, and
> perhaps French and Spanish might be widely accepted.  But I know that
> for those whose native language is Portuguese, Dutch or Greek, much
> less Finnish, this does not work with any partner.  Jonathan

I think I overgeneralized, yes.  The etiquette I referred to comes from my
experience with communications between libraries and museums in Germany,
France, Switerland, Italy, and Spain.  Beyond that, I know not.  I was
only half-serious, so far as this list goes, anyway, and just wanted to
second Peter Evans delight at the expanding national horizons of this
list....

CC

thyrsus@xxxxxxxxxxxx