New fonts under Tame?

Tame experts--

What kind of fonts does Tame 5.1 like?

Despite some added flexibility, I still haven't found a font I love among the few it will accept.

For some, it will display at a lot of point sizes, others only a few, others at just 10 x 20 and 12
x 18.

The few it will accept are .ttf fonts. Yet those fonts display in Control Panel's Fonts with various
icons, showing TT, O or A (even though Properties shows them all as .ttf files). No consistency.

My problem with the handful I can use is that virtually all of them space the letters too far apart.
 Others use distracting symbols for carriage return, like a dot indistinguishable from a period.

Anyway, who's using what with Tame, where'd you get it, and what attributes should I be looking
for?

Thanks.

Jon Pareles