Re: NB - search across files

Richard Giering wrote:

> I thought most of the list would be interested. I have tried NB to
> search across files (e.g. \name\sub\*.*/heinrich/). It doesn't seem to
> work.

Richard,

One reason why is that this command must be run in an empty window. NBWin
opens a window for a file called "untitled" automatically. Normally this
strikes me as a useful feature, but sometimes you don't realize it's there.
So:

First, go to the command line and enter the command ab, which will close
the window for the theoretical file "untitled." If you have things set up
right it may not even drop down a dialogue box to warn you that you are
doing this.

Next, enter your command. This is what I did. I was in a directory called
authors, subdirectory Smith. I had six files, for a book of four chapters,
frontmatter, and backmatter. I was looking for, e.g., the word decision, to
see if decisionmaking were one word, two words, or hyphenated. My
extensions were all .1. Therefore:

se *.1 /decision /

Worked as designed.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)