Re: easy way to print from xywrite

J R FOX wrote:
 I do indeed have two *working* ESC/P Epson printers -- different models -- neither of which is USB. My current computer has a bad Par. Port; the one that _may_ replace it has no Par. Port at all. But I *do* have a Parallel - to - USB adapter.
I have no experience with parallel to USB adapters. I assume the
D-shell connector (the parallel end) is the correct gender for
the printer connection? Anyone know how well or if they work?
Assuming the adapter works, it would seem you would just print as
you formerly did, and the adapter would send the lpt output to
the USB port. (Remarkable that you've got ESC/P printers still
running. IIRC, I used to use the EPLQ800 or 850 with the last
ESC/P inkjets.)
Is this the Shuttle or the tower? Because you could get a
parallel port card if there's a free PCI slot available.
I'm willing to give this a try, although I've had problems with GhostScript printing under OS/2.
They keep updating Ghostscript (though they don't, like so many
apps, force-feed you an update whenever you go on line).
 Sometimes, some versions of GS worked, but often not. (This
was before the MB replacement, when my Par. Port still worked.
The problem with the port has not proved amenable to any of the
troubleshooting I threw at it.) I've never tried to use GS under
Windows.
Under Windows, GSView it sometimes complains of irregularly formed ps files (probably the result of using such old driver files), but displays them correctly and converts to PDFs correctly.
Your problem is, of course, the reverse of the usual: you have a
parallel printer but no parallel port. Most people are trying to
print to USB printers over USB ports.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx