Re: Re-formatting from Vista to XP

** Reply to message from flash@xxxxxxxx on Wed, 09 May 2007 18:07:09 +0200

> ≪I disabled or degraded all of Vista's security, deleted the pre-installed
> Symantec crap (which truly acts more like a virus than any other program I
> know), killed unnecessary services -- and the result is surprisingly lean and
> mean.≫

> It speaks volumes about an OS that you have to turn half the functions _off_ in order to make it run.

You don't "have" to do any of that. In fact, I don't recommend it. It really
speaks volumes about the expectations and capabilities of users (ease of use,
don't need to know nuthin'); and these were shaped (let's face it) by the Mac.
Even Linux is dumbing down in response to this, e.g. in Ubuntu you can't log in
as root. It's also worth noting that the general response to Vista's
heightened security seems to be "it's about time!" I.e., it's positive.
People know that they don't know, e.g. that they can't interpret the headers in
Emails to determine whether they're real or fake. They realize that they are
not in control of their computers. So they want protection. Vista gives it to
them.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx