Re: Re-formatting from Vista to XP

Robert Holmgren wrote:

Vista has a built-in partitioning utility. Works fine, and functions a lot
like Partition Magic (which M$ bought, so no coincidence) ...
So do W2K and XP; I was talking about 98, which I recently had to
reinstall on a fairly large (60 or 80 G) hard drive and which couldn't
tell its sectors from its clusters. Fortunately, I found the WD
utilities to prep it.

Vista has its own boot manager, and people are triple-booting the bloody thing
with *nix and XP and whatever, so I don't understand why Dell wouldn't permit
that. Sounds like user error to me...
I thought of that, but the source seemed knowledgeable. And Dell does
things like that: my professional association once bought (against my
recommendation) a Dell running Win Me. NOBODY (including the tech guy
we had to hire when I couldn't run in to fix things every minute; and
I hired him and he knew his stuff) could install any other opsys on
it. Only drivers were for MEss.
Thanks for the report on DOS under Vista. Yes, misinformation all over
the place.
> in deference to the mouse and M$'s penchant for
pleasant euphemisms instead of traditional (tough) tech terms. Anything really
useful, like a Word macro, Microsoft makes nearly impossible for ordinary users
to install or adjust. Watching intelligent people struggle with IE security
settings makes me weep -- there's just no way anyone can be expected to figure
that nonsense out.
Well, that makes me fell a bit better. I had a helluva a time getting
my Internet connection set up on the W2K box; finally figured out my
security settings were too high.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx