Re: Sluggish Repeat Cursor Keys

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Mon, 07 Apr 2003
19:36:11 -0400

Bill:

> Is it possible that XyWrite is causing this sluggishness?

Why not run Task Manager in "always on top" mode, and see which app is grabbing
the CPU cycles? XyWrite will be listed as NTVDM.EXE. On my XP Pro machine,
XyWrite hogs 96-99% of the CPU for up to 6 seconds after a keystroke, then (if
no further keyboard activity) subsides over the course of 2 seconds or so, to
0%. That's without Tame. Tame should moderate that piggishness dramatically,
and maybe even eliminate it altogether -- this being the primary purpose of
Tame. (I don't have Tame installed on this particular machine.)

BTW, funcs CN and SN do nothing (AFAICanTell) under Win2K. I have to manually
hit NumLock to get any response. Lemme try XP Pro... nope, not there either.
Strange that it works for you -- I don't think either one has worked for me
since I left pure DOS behind 10+ years ago.

Speaking of which, it occurs to me that the mouse hasn't worked for me either
since DOS days. Recent experience with NBWin sparks a distant recollection of
using the mouse to DeFine (select) text, in Xy3 or maybe Xy4 (don't remember
which). Does *anyone* running Windows have a functioning XyMouse?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx