Re: StarOffice -Reply

Steve Crutchfield wrote:

> One weird thing: when you use a drop-down list from the menu bar, the little
> explanations of what the menu items do are in a variety of languages!!!! On
> the copy I got, the various options under "File" were in Italian, German, and
> English! Go figure!

  I wonder if you got something installed wrong there -- I haven't seen
anything but English in the menus or help balloons. The manual is still
German, as well as the on-line help, but that will be coming.
  Compared to XY it ain't no speed demon, but what is? It takes longer
to boot than Describe, but then Describe doesn't have anywhere near the
functionality either. Describe, BTW, is not dead, as previously
reported, it was bought by a company which is moving ahead on
development. Anyway, once SW is up, I can't tell much difference in
speed between it and Describe. Maybe with a stopwatch. Although speed in
a word processor is desirable, it is also greatly nullified by the long
moments of staring at the screen, I think. And also by a multitasking
environment.

> it, others found it full of bugs and errors, and trashed it.

  Bugs and errors are par for the course, especially in something
that's actually evolving. At least StarDivision has got their act
together in this area. They've got a newsgroup, a email list of sorts
(especially to inform users of updates, fixes, etc.), a webpage, a ftp
site, and two or three special email addresses just for bug reports,
tech help, and one just for suggestions of how to improve the product.
  I've got to say that I like if far better than any other word
processor I've ever tried, with the exception of XY --- and XY only in
the area of just simple, quick text entry and formatting. And that,
probably, just because I've used it so long.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you