Re: Patricia's template (Was: Re: Xywrite Revealed)

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Thu, 09
Feb 2006 15:04:43 -0500

> not wanting to risk damaging Postghst.prn, I changed the
> various items for landscape as directed there, then saved the prn file
> as postlgl.prn, added it to my PP table, and PPed it thus. Might that be
> a good idea?

Good idea. Different fixed configurations for different paper
sizes|orientations. No on-the-fly editing and relaunching.

But you may still need to relaunch XyWrite when you do SETP. It's worthwhile
to check your "Load Printer" memory (command: VA/NV -pa [case SeNsItIvE!]),
and maybe even try to unload it (command: UNLOAD 10 [number ten]), before
doing another SETP. XyWrite can only tolerate so many SETP commands before it
ceases to fully load new PRNs. Gotta relaunch every third or fourth time. (Of
courser, this only applies if your change page sizes or orientation frequently,
as I was during testing. Ordinarily, this is unnecessary.)

I've put up a fresh POSTGHST.PRN. This one is simpler and better organized.
The two lines that need to be changed are clearly indicated, and grouped
together for easy editing (less clutter). Eliminating the NA spec was easier
said than done, but I think it is gracefully out of the picture now (it was
always a pain -- I imagine that anyone who printed frequently has seen periodic
"Top margin on this printer must be at least ## inches|mm" msgs -- they won't
be back!). This new version requires a DF JB= spec for Letter size now too (it
is enabled by default). If you change paper size or orientation, you need to
enable TWO new specs, and disable two old ones. This basically means nothing
more than MoVing two semicolons around, SAving the PRN, and re-SETP-ing it. It
is very clear what to do, I think/hope.

Give it a whirl.

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/postghst.zip

Robert Holmgren