Re: U2 conflicts?

Reply to note from Myron Gochnauer  Thu, 4 Dec 97
18:04:22 +0000

-> I want to use _all_ of the following enhancements:
->
-> Stack.dlg v3.0 SmartSet v2.60 Enhance.set
->
-> ... On the command line I enter: help smartset and press
-> the special "help key". The result is a windows which says:
-> Can't reCALL UNTITLED file. Back on the command line,
-> rewritten commands such as CDX are not recognized.
->
-> If I start the same way but try CDX and other new commands,
-> they work perfectly until I try to access SmartSet's help
-> screens. Then new commands like CDX are not recognized.
->
-> Any suggestions, or do I want the impossible?

Not impossible, not at all.

Hmmm. Off the bat, I see two framename conflicts between
SmartSet.U2 and Enhance.Set: both files contain frames named RECALL
and WILD; needless to say the namesake frames are in each case
completely different. For starters, I'd suggest renaming these two
frames GLOBALLY (i.e., the frame itself, and any calls to it) within
EITHER SmartSet OR Enhance (not both!). For example, rename
SmartSet WILD to SWILD and SmartSet RECALL to SRECALL (choose
whatever new names you like). If you have any calls to either of
these frames from any customization file (U2, KBD, etc.) -- for
example, another U2 frame might invoke RECALL with JM 2.recallQ2 --
revise them accordingly. Then SAve and reLOAD the U2 file (and any
other customization files that have changed).

Beyond simple name conflicts, there's a more fundamental difference
between Enhance and SmartSet that can erode compatibility between
the two packages. Enhance uses "command override" (the OO command)
to redefine native Xy commands; SmartSet not only does not use
command override, it assumes and requires that native commands work
as documented. (See "A Word About Defaults", in SMARTSET.NTS.) If
command override remains in effect (i.e., is not canceled with the
OX command) when a SmartSet routine is invoked, the SmartSet routine
could crash or perform erratically. Again, I don't know whether
Enhance consistently disables override on EXit. Tim will no doubt
enlighten us.

SmartSet used to turn off override at the outset of each routine and
restore the pre-existing override state on EXit. Perhaps that
feature needs to be reinstated.

Let us know whether renaming those frames (especially Recall) does
the trick.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/