Re: Something special about Ctrl+Shift+C?

Reply to note from rrr@xxxxxxxx (Rene von Rentzell) Thu, 6 Nov 97

>-> What happened was that I accidentally pressed Ctrl+Shift+C. XY4
>-> promptly exited XY4, and then crashed the computer when i tried
>-> to reload.

> I am running XY4 alone on a straight DOS computer, without TSRs and with
> a minimalistic config.sys file. What is going on?

> In the middle of the XY screen, I got this message: "Exit batch command
> (Y/N)?", I've tried it 3 times now, and it is the same each time.

I'm jumping in late here, so forgive me if I missed something already
discussed. (Just signed back on to the XY list after a long absence.)
My first reaction is that I suspect what's happening here is that your
Ctrl+Shift+C is acting the same as a "Ctrl-C" when executing dos batch
programs: it's a dos level command to stop execution, like a break
command. Running another batch file and hitting Ctrl-C should give you
the same message as above. Ctrl-C in XY could do the same (try it?) if
it gets thru to DOS. Maybe, tho, you've redefined Ctrl-C in XY, so that
only your Ctrl-Shift-C gets thru to DOS. I think XY held/usurped more
control of the keyboard in version 3, and moved to relinquish more
control back to DOS in version 4.

If this is it, you could try setting break=off (cf the DOS command for
break in your DOS manual). I think that would go in your config.sys
file.

FWIW, here's what my dos help command says about break:

                  BREAK

Sets or clears extended CTRL+C checking. You can use this command at the
command prompt or in your CONFIG.SYS file.

You can press CTRL+C to stop a program or an activity (file sorting, for
example). Typically, MS-DOS checks for CTRL+C only while it reads from
the keyboard or writes to the screen or a printer. If you set BREAK to
ON, you extend CTRL+C checking to other functions, such as disk read and
write operations.

Syntax

  BREAK [ON|OFF]

To display the current BREAK setting, use the following syntax:

  BREAK

In your CONFIG.SYS file, use the following syntax:

  BREAK=ON|OFF

Parameter

ON|OFF
  Turns extended CTRL+C checking on or off.

End.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I'm just restating something obvious.

Mike

  Michael O'Brien      mto@xxxxxxxx      Lincoln, MA