Re: Zyindex ( non zywrite question)

"Robert H. Kubie" wrote:

> Does Lotus Magellan ring a bell with anyone?

Sure, I recall the name. Never tried it myself, though. It is possible I even
have it somewhere, from a download. A couple years back or more, someone on this
list posted a link (FTP site ?) where much of the extinct or forgotten Lotus
software could be downloaded. The legality of this seems fairly dubious, but the
status of different "abandonware" seems to vary, even if it never gets officially
released to open source or the public domain. It is not necessarily clear cut, as
in the case of "warez." For example, way back when, I had a license for 123, for
version 2.2 or 2.3. There were on this site updated versions of 123, plus various
123 accessories or plugins, which I might have been entitled to, but go try to
find them, years later. (I would not have wanted to go into the later, Win-only
versions anyway, and generally resist the march ever onward into bloatware.)

Anyway, it is even more doubtful that that particular URL is still valid. When
you stumble across something like this, you kind of have to make an immediate
decision as to whether you want to hedge against the faint possibility that the
item might prove useful someday. At worst, it adds to extra storage. That spot
decision has proven useful in some other cases I can think of, where the Co. went
out of business, and the ability to obtain the files either went away or became
seriously compromised.

Jordan