Re: Off topic: type (ME letter "Yogh")

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Fri, 31 Jan
2003 14:36:54 -0500

Patricia, Emery:

> It
> doesn't seem to be among XyW's Speedo characters, and I figured as I
> would have to convert the paper back to Word anyway, I'd wait till I was
> there to insert it. But now I cannot find it there either.

I ran into this problem in the 80s: it isn't in the Speedo or Postscript sets
(although a small zeta will pass, IIRC). So I wrote a bitmapped font (in
8,9,10,11,and 12 pts), together with a complementary SVGA screen font, that
include (among many other chars, including some that are unique like a compass
rose) the yogh -- however, the "character set" is so idiosyncratic and
non-standard, that you might have difficulty using it. However, if the target
WP is M$Wierd, I have a couple of TT fonts that include it -- the allebeste one
yclept Plantin, both UPPER and lower (on chars 132 and 138)... Lemme check
that Plantin works right in DinkyDroop... perfecto! Insert==>Symbol table.

> Unicode 3.0 includes:

> 021C latin capital letter yogh
> 021D latin small letter yogh

> so if you have Windows 2000 or above (Unicode enabled) and a Unicode
> font (like the free Lucida Unicode Sans) you can use it.
> http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/seminar/fonts/lucida.htm

Emery, I've got W2K and Lucida Sans, and I simply don't see any yoghs! There
is no 021C/021Dh (540/541 dec) in either the Lucida on my machine, or on the
chart at the URL you provide above. Neither will Wierd accept an 021C or 021D
-- or rather, yes it will accept them, but it puts out an exclamation mark,
meaning "doesn't exist"). Same result with Arial Unicode. When you say
"Unicode enabled", what do you mean -- that there's something extra I need to
do? They sure seem Unicode-enabled right now... but what do I know.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx