Re: Search archives

Please, nobody take this personally, but I am a copy editor by profession
and a moderately competent Latininst (or Latiner, whence the surname
Latimer, as they used to say in Olde England): a "terminus ante quem"
would be the point BEFORE which; that is, the END of the sequence. And
the standard phrases in Latin were "terminus a quo" (from which, the
beginning) and "terminus ad quem" (to which, the end). Where the custom
of using ante and post arose I cannot guess.
	This discussion of three-byte characters is very interesting. The file
may have come from WordImPerfect. I have discovered that when using WP's
built-in Xy filters (which they removed from 2002!), the high-value
Speedo characters (which the WP filters didn't recognize, because they
were really for Xy3, though claiming to be for 4) came over as three WP
characters. That, of course, was going the other way--Xy to WP--but it
might be a clue. I was compiling a list, but then Robert kindly sent me
the Hungarian filters, and I no longer needed to use the WP ones, so I
rather dropped the project. By the by, if one has Word (better not, but
one of my clients insisted--and was willing to pay for it), you can get
something like Expanded View, or WP's Reveal Codes, by hitting
ALT-SHIFT-F11; that will bring up the underlying XML of whatever Word doc
you may have open. Since XML is intolerably verbose (it apparently
requires you to define every possible element, whether or not it actually
occurs in the doc in question), one would have to dig quite deeply, but
it is possible to find out what Word is doing.
Patricia