Re: XyWrite for Windows

>On the XyWin problems, I seem to recall there was, believe it or not, a problem having to do with CD ROM drives either needing to be attached or needing not to be attached. If that's correct, it's not due to XP. Try doing the same install with a) no CD drive attached and b) with a CD drive attached and a valid disk of some kind in it. Couldn't hurt.

That is true, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a working installer for XyWin. The installation
script is modifiable, but seems a bit arcane. Writing a new installer would maybe be easier than
trying to mend the current one. All that is needed is some kind of understanding what settings are
modified during the install. Essentially setting up the startup files and copying appropriate
drivers. To figure that out one needs some instances of working setups. Possible problems can arise
if the installer modifies the EXE file as was the case with NB 4 DOS. Display modes were hard-coded
into the EXE during install. I do not think XyWin is a must-have, but it would nice to play with it
sometime.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)