XyWin v. 4.13 Typeface Mysteries

I use XyWrite for Windows ver. 4.13 under Windows NT ver. 4.0, printing to a
Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 6L (but the XyW printer file used is HPLJ-4L.PRN).

In displaying or printing a document whose font is "Times New Roman" 14
point (Symbol Set 9U,0,0,1),I get different typefaces depending on whether
printer setup is set to use "Windows fonts" or "XyWrite fonts", even though
the font in question is identified as a Windows font.

If I load the XyWrite driver only I get what appears to be a regular Times
Roman font (the same font as prints under Nota Bene (the same file) or under
Microsoft Word), but if I use the Windows or Windows-and-XyWrite
printer-setup choice I get a condensed version of Times Roman for normal
type and some expanded boldface (possibly the "Times new Roman mt extra
bold" that appears on the typeface menu, although the program does not
otherwise indicate this) for boldface text. This awkward condensed version
appears in print and in the display.

As an aside, the condensed typeface does not seem to appear at 8-pt. or
14-pt. typesizes of the font.

Can anyone explain what is going on here and how I can fix it short of
switching back and forth between printer drivers?

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx