Re: DesqView and XyWrite

On Mon, 19 Dec 1994 22:50:51 -0500 (EST), "James D. Besser"
 wrote:
> OK, so I'm a wimp: I installed OS/2-warp, and after three days
of > agony--and a fried controller card--I wiped it from my disk
and my mind.

  Obviously a big part of your problem was the defective disk
controller card -- have you tried Warp with a fully functioning
computer? Or did you just write it off as "slow" (boy, I can't
imagine anything slowing things down more than a defective drive
controller, unless it's a crummy video card), and now with your
fixed computer running DV, you perceive it as faster?

>   But I'm having trouble with the mark and transfer
function, to copy > material from other text files and paste
into XyWrite files. It works > when I'm in a simple text editor;
it refuses to work with XyWrite/DOS. > Just sits there dumbly.
Perhaps a keyboard conflict? Any ideas out there?

  It does work, I used to paste into XY with DV all the time.
Can't remember what I did however, and DV takes so much futzing
to get things like that to work, almost as bad as windoz in that
respect. Try asking on one of the DV newsgroups or fidonet
echoes. Or try tshell in warp if you don't like GUIs.

>   As for Warp: XyWrite did seem to run slightly faster by
itself. But > as soon as anything else was loaded up, it slowed
to a crawl. Switching > between XyWrite and my dialer or
scheduler was much slower than simply > shelling out of XyWrite
under DOS. And I hate those icons...just not a > visual person,
I guess.

  James, James -- is that a fair comparison? How many things did
you load up? Try just XY and your term, or XY and your
scheduler, that's what you are doing in DOS, not 3 or 4 at a
time. But on the other hand, with my 486dx40, 8MB RAM, and 8 apps
loaded at the moment, my switching is instant. It could be a tad
faster, but I don't have a VLB video with 2MB of video RAM, just
a funky old Tseng ISA 1MB card, and no VLB drive controllers for
either my IDE or SCSI drives (Sigh!) and funky old drives to
boot. But for all practical purposes, switching is so fast that I
can't really see any point in having it any faster. Still, I'm
going to get those VLB controllers ASAP. I guess I've been
stalling because I'm not sure if the PowerPC is going to run VLB
or PCI, and I don't want to buy any new hardware that won't work
with the new PowerPC motherboard I'll be buying within the next
few months. Maybe
I'll just wait. Installing a new video card in OS/2 is no
problem, but installing it on the Linux side of my machine is
rather a pain, and I just got the newest version of Linux
installed, hate to have to reconfigure it already, recompile the
kernel, etc. Arrrgghhh. I'll just wait. WOS is coming.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx
harmon@xxxxxxxx

<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710 Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."   <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani Roshi  <>