Re: bIg monitors

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:39:57 -0400, James D. Besser wrote:

>Hey folks, I'm thinking of popping for a 19 inch monitor.
>Wondering if it's worth it.
>
>Spend 80 percent of my computer time using
>XyWrite / Dos v. 4.  But always have Windoze
>programs--a scheduler, a data base-in the background.
>
>Anybody out there using one of these beasts?
>Any input before I drain my bank account?

 I made the same move (from an older 17-inch) just two or three weeks ago
- and have been very happy that I did. And if you shop around a bit, you
can probably do it for less than $500.

By the way: in this semi-rural area (on the Vermont-New Hampshire border,
near Dartmouth College), we don't have multiple dealers aggressively
competing to sell computer systems and software. I make most of my
purchases by phone, either from mail-order catalogs or their Web
equivalents. For a monitor, however, where shipping costs and risks are
both high, I feel it's worth the increased price to order through a local
(therefore low-volume) dealer.
 This Samsung "SyncMaster 900p" cost me $499 through that channel; if
you're shopping on the Web or at stores in a large metropolitan area, you
can probably pay at least 10% less. If you prefer a Trinitron-type
(aperture grill) tube, check out Princeton Graphics. The major PC
magazines, such as PC World, PC Magazine, Computer Shopping, etc., all
have comparative review articles on their Web sites; as of last month PC
World's seemed to be the most recent comprehensive coverage. Rating
charts that distinguish between suitability for text, for graphic design,
etc were especially helpful to me.

 Irv Thomae
 (in Norwich, Vermont)