Re: bIg monitors

>Hey folks, I'm thinking of popping for a 19 inch monitor.
>Wondering if it's worth it.

You're thinking of moving to what resolution on a nominally "19 inch"
monitor from what resolution on a what-"inch" monitor?

>Spend 80 percent of my computer time using
>XyWrite / Dos v. 4.  But always have Windoze
>programs--a scheduler, a data base-in the background.

So what's the problem? Or, if there's no particular problem, where's the
irritation? Any eye-strain? The Alt-Tab key combination too arduous?

Incidentally, does anybody ever admit to having splurged on
computer-related equipment and shortly thereafter decide and admit that it
wasn't worth it and that they goofed? From my own, limited experience,
such people are rare. As for the satisfied majority, perhaps all of them
have found that the new toy was worth it. Or perhaps only some have, while
others think of plausible fictions about how the toy was worth the dosh, in
order not to feel silly about it.

For the very little that it's worth, I (typically using XyWin, Eudora,
Netscape and a few other programs simultaneously under Win98) am very happy
with my "17 inch" Eizo/Nanao E53F monitor at 800x600, and I've never envied
anything bigger or more expensive. But if I were a graphic designer (say),
I'd want something a lot bigger.

Peter Evans of the bandwidth-conserving signature
Peter Evans