Re: File Conversion

RFT:DCA is not the same as RTF. XyWrite builds in conversions for RFT and
Xy3 in its native code; that was one of IBM's stipulations because Display
Write used RFT. None of the other conversions is automatic; you have to
select it from the menus, and the filters have to be installed. Also, the
filter lists have to be in place (the *.FLT files), because the menus access
these files to build lists for the list box. You'll notice that the FLT
files have the actual Word for Word filenames in them. XyWrite displays the
product name (WordPerfect 5.2 for instance) and hides the W4W filename beyond
the right-hand edge of the list box. Then the code in the menus parses this
information to get the W4W filename and then, while suppressing any W4W
feedback to screen, activates the W4W executable via a DOS gateway (in Xy4)
or via a DLL (in XyW). As I've mentioned before, all this can be done from
the CMD line, but it's unintuitive, messy, and hard (like life, I spoze).

As for fonts: In DOS. you're out of luck. XyDOS uses mostly Bitstream Speedo
fonts, and Windows programs use TrueType. MasterSoft never came up with a
translation table of one to the other. You'll have to change your UF
commands by hand, or write a macro. I've had some limited success converting
between Xy4 and WordPerfect, which supports Speedos (at least in DOS). In
fact, I once bought a bunch of Speedo fonts in a package intended for
WordPerfect folks. If XyWin conversions screw up TrueType font conversions,
the fault is in the filters, not XyWrite.

Aside: IMHO, Speedo fonts are far superior to TrueType: in none of my Windows
apps can I get ligatured fl, fi, ff, ffi, and ffl -- with Speedos it's a
snap. The big drawback to Speedos was single-sourcing (Bitstream), high
prices, and incompatibility with the Windows world.

Aside: If hell ever freezes over and Kenny and Dave ever decide to do an
upgrade of XyDOS, supporting TrueType fonts would be great. Not because
they're better but because they're standard.

Aside: The Word for Word package had an autodetect module that would figure
out the format of the source file automatically. It was never implemented in
XyWrite.