Re: XP jerky settings

At 7/4/2004 11:01 AM -0300, Myron Gochnauer wrote:
Has anyone verified that Tame does or does not work with Windows XP? I have seriously misplaced my copy of it so I can't run the test. I have tried every combination of settings with Windows XP, and although XyDOS generally runs very well in a DOS box/window, cursor movement is jerky. It may simply be a function of XP's *emulation* of DOS...
This issue has been discussed ad frustratum here. I consider it the number-one issue on the list. But... There simply is no one solution, cum TAME or sans TAME. I tried the latest version but could not figure out the proper settings. And no one here seemed to have them. The last time I used TAME successfully -- perhaps two or three iterations ago -- it did not completely solve the problem, which is to say, the cursor/scrolling in XyDos in an XP window still did not behave as smoothly as XyDos unfettered (full screen). Without further laboring this, it is enough to say that some folks seem willing and able to live with the quirky cursor/scrolling, and some (this XyWriter among them) do not. (To come to the point above, Myron, the TAME settings, I think, are as important as your XP properties settings.) At the moment, for what it's worth, I'm in limbo. I do my daily work on an aging 333 running W98SE and, of course, XyDos in a box with Uwe Sieber's fonts http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_e.html. I have T41 laptop with XP, and I have spent too much time with it trying to get XyDos to run in a window. (Reference the many posts twixt me and Robert.) So when I have to use the laptop, I crank up NotaBene 7.0b and just open the XY file. (I won't here get into the maddening eccentricities of that program. It just ain't XY, alas.) I keep waiting (hoping) that MS will issue a new service pack for XP that will solve the problems with that OS's virtual DOS machine. Michael Norman PS: Carl, your posts on practical criticism (with apologies to I. A. Richards) are well crafted and a real pleasure to read. Thanks.