Macrons in XyWrite

==
FROM: Norman Havens, Fujino & Tokyo, Japan   DATE: Feb 5, 1995
SUBJECT: Macrons in XyWrite
 JIM DRISCOLL>> . . .have you considered defining a new JIM
DRISCOLL>> display attribute . . .
 Actually, no, at least not yet, though I appreciate the tip;
I'll try your method as well. I've had no need--again, "yet"--to
print the circumflex characters in an otherwise Japanese-related
document, and since they are commonly used as makeshift macrons
even in printed text, I don't feel they are a serious distraction
 on the screen.
 I also should've noted in my previous post the obvious fact
that the numbers I provided (+/-17) for raising the hyphen were
selected to match the 12-point fonts which *I* normally use;
they may not be appropriate for other people's fonts,
particularly not in other point sizes. If you use a combination
of font sizes in a single document, you'll have to define
different numbers in the substitution table--and possibly
different display characters--for each point size.
 Finally, people may run into one other issue, namely, the width
 tables; if you select a display character that is defined wider
or narrower than the actual printed o-macron or u-macron, it is
possible to adversely affect the length of your printing line,
particularly when you have several macrons in a single line, and
certainly if you use justification.

==