Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Phil,

Thank you for this precision. I started my career as a lexicographer on
an IBM mainframe at a big publishing house. And EBCDIC was alive and
well in the early 1980's there. Do you happen to know how the Atex
system was later developed? I gather Atex has been run on mainframes up
till this day. (E.g.
http://www.gxpress.net/atex-upgrade-allows-news-to-decommission-mainframes-build-on-integration-cms-1692)

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

To answer your original question, the Atex editor was actually a stand-alone operating system. It was written on and for the DEC PDP-11 family which (thankfully) used the ASCII character set. The PDP-11 was a very advanced computer for its day. It had a very logical and versatile instruction set and a great CPU. I loved writing code for it.