PDF Links possible?

Is there some way, in preparing a document for subsequent conversion
to PDF (using, of course, XY2PDF) to embed some code analogous to an
HTML XREF one, so that a file so referenced, if in the same directory
or on the same disk as the PDF, could be opened when the code is
clicked on? For example, say FAMHIST.txt (and then famhist.pdf) says,
"here is a picture of our grandfather..." could one then have
grvater.tif somehow set up so that clicking on that would cause
Windows or the Mac to open the file with the associated .tif viewer? I
could, of course, convert the whole thing to HTML, but I'd rather not,
esp. as there are going to be a lot of odd accents. (In fact, I'm
thinking I may have to bite the bullet and try ANSIFIED xy.)
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx