About customizing screen color

     An experiential narrative on how to customize your screen color in Xywrite (Thank you, Robert Holmgren, for your essential input):

     I was, indeed, able to change my screen color. One way is to use BG (background) and FG (foreground) commands on the command line, together with number values that correlate to colors (which did not work well for me). Or you could go into Xywrite preferences and reset the Format-Text Colors default. In the Format-Text Colors window, I set all three foreground colors to 255 and the background colors to 0 Red, 0 Green, and 255 Blue, a combination that yielded an electric blue screen with white text, pleasing to my eye.
     There, however, I encountered a snag: Only the areas of the screen where text appeared had a blue background; the rest of the screen remained white. It was as if I had a white background behind my blue background. Very distracting.  After fumbling around in my Control Panel for quite a while, I was able to reset the background-background window to electric blue, but then the text on my command line was coming out white, like the text in the window. Not good. What I wanted was a blue background, white text in the window, and black text in the command field.
     Here's how you do it: Reset the Format-Text Colors default in Xywrite preferences, as described above. (If you want a color other than electric blue, you're going to have to experiment in the Xywrite Format-Text Colors default box and find a mix that will match one of Windows' pre-existing color choices.)
     Then go into Control Panel and do the following:
     Display>Appearances>Advanced>In "Item" box, click Window>In "Color 1" box (on top) choose electric blue>In bottom "Color" box (for text), choose black. And voila.
     Apparently, choosing white text in the Xywrite Format-Text Colors default, overrides the choice for black text in the Advanced Appearance window.  So you get white text on a blue background, but black text in the command field.
     Try it. You might like it.

Marguerite Del Giudice